On the 22 July 1950, a housewarming party was given at "Casa Grande" by Mr & Mrs Kruttschnitt, who entertained their guests under a marquee on the lawns.
Small groups of people were shown over the house; certainly the largest and most elaborate house to be built in the hot, dry western district of Queensland. In 1951 when badges were presented to employees of MIM who had served twenty years with the Company, a dinner was arranged for the 80 men and their wives by Mrs Kruttschnitt.
It was designed by Donoghue, Cusick & Edwards and built in 1949.
It was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on .
The name given to the house, literally "big house", reflected the prosperity of Mount Isa Mines at that time and is a term commonly used in Arizona and New Mexico to describe the "boss's"house.
Casa Grande was designed by the prominent Brisbane architectural firm of Donoghue, Cusick and Edwards, probably incorporating the ideas of their client, Julius Kruttschnitt.
The information provided in this publication is current as at the publication date only.
The finances of the company did not improve until after World War II.Houses of simple design were constructed, as were dormitories.The company included in its program improved recreational facilities, including tennis courts and a swimming pool.Kruttschnitt tackled Mount Isa's problems with relentless energy and after more capital was raised through overseas financiers, ore production commenced again in 1931.In earlier years of the mine's operation, the company expended large amounts of money providing housing for employees.